Thursday, June 20, 2013

My GERD Cause: Eating Too Little, Eating Too Much

My hate of food goes back to when I was young, being told I wasn't skinny enough.  So I started starving myself.  Unfortunately, my love of food would call me back and I would eat and eat a lot.  I'm not sure if I was a binge eater per se, particularly during my college years.  I was quite thin and eating was just something you did between all the other stuff going on.  This all changed when I came back home and started to work.

Once you're working, going out to eat becomes a big part of socializing.  You eat, you drink, and sometimes you eat some more to sober up before you pass out.  However, as I got older and exercised less, while still going out then I started to put in more pounds.  This is when I discovered lemonade cleanses (which most people I knew used as a diet really).  At some point I lost 20lbs doing that cleanse, just to be told by my doctor that I was much too weak because I had lost so much muscle mass.  I also suspect that doing those lemonade cleanse (ie. starvation diets) led to other health complications, which I wont go into right now.

At some point I just couldn't do the lemonade cleanses, so I started doing crazy calorie diets, trying to stop myself at 1,000 a day; though 1200 was the very minimum they recommended for me.  This is when my binging really started.  I would devoutly keep my diet but once I was off the diet then I just lost all control and would buy like $20 worth of candy, ice cream, and cookies.  I wasn't a big chip person, all sugar for me.  You'd laugh now but I was quite good at eating right during the day, organic, local, all that bs that at night I completely forgot.  Also, I'd control myself all day, whether by choice or because I was busy, then just eat as much as I wanted at night, which was always too much.  Then I'd crash.  I think going to bed with my stomach twice the size of what it should be was an every day thing.  I blamed it on my scheduled: work was at fault for me working late hours so of course I have to eat late then go to bed full.

No comments:

Post a Comment