Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Mornings without GERD

I love mornings.

It is only in the mornings when I feel 100% normal, almost every day since my GERD struggle begun. I generally feel light, like perhaps I'm ok.  Better yet, perhaps today will be a symptom free day.  I feel so good!

So why are my mornings better?

I've looked online and can only guess that it's because of my behavior at night.

1. I stop eating 3-4 hours (preferably 4+ hours) before I go to sleep.  I don't get into bed unless I feel my stomach is already empty.

2.  No more snacking after dinner.  At most, I drink water. I know this is hard but every time I put something in my mouth, I wonder how it will affect my GERD.

3. I have changed my diet, I'm now on a paleo diet.

4. I stop drinking glass fulls of water before going to sleep.

5. I try to sleep on my back, this helps to eliminate pressure on your esophagus.

6. I raised the head of my bed 5 inches from the ground.  This makes my bed look quite funny but it does help; it's also better than buying tons of pillows.

Take a look at other recommendations people have for minimizing night GERD.



2 comments:

  1. Do u feel short of breath or heart pounding when gerd attacked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's shortness of breath. I generally have to sit down and take deep breaths for about 10 minutes. I feel discomfort around my stomach area, and just below my rib cage, so I know it's not my heart.

    Also, since I've been able to get a handle on my GERD, I haven't had any issues.

    I'm now down to 4 little omeprazole pellets, and continue to do Hot yoga 4-6x a week. Now I eat everything, like I'm normal again. I do try to control things, can't fall back on old habits that lead me to GERD.

    ReplyDelete