Sunday, June 30, 2013

Papaya Good for GERD? The Jury's Still Out

There's tons of articles, blogs, and websites out there that talk about the benefits of Papaya fruit and GERD:

Papaya is a powerhouse fruit that is not used nearly enough in our society. Papaya is an excellent natural remedy for acid reflux disease.  It is not only a low acidic food, but contains an enzyme called papain that is designed specifically to help with digestion.  It also consists of potassium which is helpful in providing  an healthy bacterial setting for your intestines.  This eases the digestive process and helps your stomach not work as hard.  This is the underlying source of health to fix the disease process. 
Papaya also has more than the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.  vitamin C also helps with digestion.  You don't necessarily have to eat papaya to get it's benefits.  You can also buy a papaya enzyme supplement.  My family uses this to get our papain and it comes with a mint taste. 
and
PapayaIf you have access to fresh papaya, eat half of one for breakfast every morning with half a cup of yogurt and you will see a huge improvement in the amount of acid your body is producing. Papayas contains papain which will aide in the digestive process along with the live cultures in the yogurt. Squirt a slice of lemon over the flesh of the papaya for added flavor and Vitamins before eating, or sprinkle with a Tablespoon of wheat germ for a nutty flavor. If papaya is not available in your area, pick up some papaya tablets at the health food store. Read the label to be sure they do not contain any salt, sugar or sorbitol (sugar substitute).
However, after more digging, it seems there's still no real evidence, or consensus on Papaya: 

Papaya Enzyme 
One of the alternative treatments for GERD that you may have heard about is papain, or papaya enzyme.Papaya enzymes occur naturally in the fruit of the papaya plant, and they have well established proteolytic properties, meaning that they help digest proteins. For this reason, one of the historical uses of papaya has been as a meat tenderizer -- marinading tough cuts of meat in papaya for several hours can soften the muscle fibers, making the meat easier to chew.



Enzyme Function
There simply isn't any scientific evidence that papaya enzyme can help reduce symptoms of GERD. In part, this is because enzymes are very reaction-specific, as explained by Drs. Mary Campbell and Shawn Farrell in their book "Biochemistry." Enzymes with roles in metabolism don't play a part in digestion. Enzymes that digest fats can't affect carbohydrates. In the specific case of papaya enzyme, because it digests protein, it has by definition no effect whatsoever upon acid production or reflux.

Other Considerations
A further reason that papaya enzyme can't affect or reduce your GERD is that enzymes operate within a very narrow range of temperatures and acidity levels. Very few enzymes can survive the highly acidic interior of the stomach, and papaya enzymes aren't among them. As such, when you consume papaya enzyme, your stomach acid renders it inactive. You simply digest the enzyme, which is itself a protein, as you would any other dietary protein.


For now, I've added papaya to my list of items to buy at the super market.  We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these blogs with us, really all blogs are very nice…. I am really inspired from your blog hoping you will be there with more interesting post like this. I like your blog take on Beauty products topic is well-written and original. Thanking you for this.
    For More Please Acid Reflux

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative, because it compresses most of the information needed and the best solution to Paralysis still remains herbal medicines.
    I became more convinced in herbal medicines because of NZE NJOKU HERBAL HOME.
    I have also contacted Nze Njoku for herbal treatment for my grandfather who had suffered paralysis caused by stroke for eight years.
    My grandfather took herbal medicines from Nze Njoku Herbal Home as he's instructed without any lifestyle change which healed him of paralysis within nine weeks.
    As I write this my grandfather is doing great on his feet and most importantly he has started his business effectively as if nothing happened to him.
    Feel free to contact them on;
    nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete