Sunday, June 2, 2013

GERD Doctors - The Gastroenterologist

After ending up in the hospital twice during the same week of New Years Eve (quite the beginning for the year), I went to 2 gastroenterologists.

A gastroenterologist is a physician who specializes in disorders and conditions of the gastrointestinal tract. Most gastroenterologists are board-certified in this subspecialty. After completing the same training as all other physicians, they first complete at least two years of additional training in order to attain board certification in internal medicine, then gastroenterologists study for an additional 2-3 years to train specifically in conditions of the gastrointestinal tract.

The first one of these that I went to said he thought it was an ulcer, so to schedule an appointment.  Due to health insurance issues (surprise surprise), I had to switch to another doctor so I scheduled another appointment.  This time I was prepared, though swearing this had to be an ulcer, and had a list of questions:
  1. What's the most likely cause of my symptoms?
  2. Are there other possible causes for my symptoms?
  3. What kinds of tests do I need, and how do I need to prepare for them?
  4. Is my condition likely temporary or chronic?
  5. What treatment do you recommend?
  6. How quickly will I start to feel better?
  7. What if my symptoms don't improve?
  8. What are the alternatives to the primary approach that you're suggesting?
  9. Are there any dietary restrictions that I need to follow?
  10. Is there a generic or over-the-counter alternative to the medicine you're prescribing me?
  11. Are there any brochures or other printed material that I can take with me? What websites do you recommend?
  12. What caused me to develop this ulcer?

I think I got this list from a website.

The second doctor right away said she thought I had IBS ("Irritable Bowel Symdrome") and gave me materials.  I read the materials and they pretty much said this of IBS:

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects your large intestine (colon). Irritable bowel syndrome commonly causes cramping, abdominal pain, bloating gas, diarrhea and constipation. Despite these uncomfortable signs and symptoms, IBS doesn't cause permanent damage to your colon.  
Now, I that point I had a long list of symptoms I carried with me for my doctor's information.  However, I absolutely knew I did not have IBS.  The only time I had ever been constipated was during my first "GERD Episode."  Otherwise, I have always been very regular, have had normal movements, and my symtoms were more like an ulcer if anything.

However, she said I needed to change my diet.  I read but dismissed her diagnosis, though I did make the appointment for the endoscopy, after much haggling with my insurance.  She also gave me a 3 month prescription for Nexium.  I read about PPIs, about how they have a million side effects.

During that time, I was eating every two hours and more like a bird.  I resented this change in eating.  I complained to everyone I could.  I did not want to fill the prescription because I hated drugs.

Finally, I went in for the endoscopy and all they found was inflammation around my lower esophageal sphincter. The doctor told me that was it, no ulcer, so I started to take the Nexium.

No comments:

Post a Comment