Saturday, June 1, 2013

What is GERD?

So, out of nowhere I have had to ask myself the above question.

This is the answer, according to the Mayo Clicnic's website:

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a chronic digestive disease that occurs when stomach acid or, occasionally, bile flows back (refluxes) into your food pipe (esophagus). The backwash of acid irritates the lining of your esophagus and causes GERD signs and symptoms.

See also Wikipedia, the National Library of Medicine, and many more out there.

They then list GERD symptoms as follows:

Acid Reflux
Heartburn

When these symptoms occur more than once a week, this is GERD.

Additional symptoms include:
  • A burning sensation in your chest (heartburn), sometimes spreading to the throat, along with a sour taste in your mouth
  • Chest pain
  • Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
  • Dry cough
  • Hoarseness or sore throat
  • Regurgitation of food or sour liquid (acid reflux)
  • Sensation of a lump in the throat

However, I assure you, I have suffered much more than just Acid Reflux and Heartburn.  Worse yet, it's a day to day struggle.  I very much feel I have lost my life to GERD.  Every day, my first thought is how bad will my GERD be today, and at the end of the day "how bad will my GERD be tomorrow?"

I'm writing this blog to document my experience with GERD.   I hope this helps someone.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment