Monday, June 3, 2013

Enjoying Nexium

I have read a lot of blogs the last few weeks and currently feel quite fortunate that Nexium did work for me.  It seems there's many out there that take PPIs twice a day, in addition to other medicines but nothing works.  I was lucky in that 1 Nexium in the morning was enough to keep me, mostly, symptom free all day.

Alright, so what is Nexium and what are PPIs?

Nexium:
Nexium (esomeprazole) belongs to a group of drugs called proton pump inhibitors. Nexium decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
Nexium is used to treat symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and other conditions involving excessive stomach acid such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Nexium is also used to promote healing of erosive esophagitis (damage to your esophagus caused by stomach acid).
Nexium may also be given to prevent gastric ulcer caused by infection with helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), or by the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
Nexium is not for immediate relief of heartburn symptoms.
Nexium may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Nexium Side Effects:

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Nexium: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using Nexium and call your doctor at once if you have any of these symptoms of low magnesium such as:
  • dizziness, confusion;
  • fast or uneven heart rate;
  • jerking muscle movements;
  • feeling jittery;
  • diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
  • muscle cramps, muscle weakness or limp feeling;
  • cough or choking feeling; or
  • seizure (convulsions).
Less serious Nexium side effects may include:
  • headache, drowsiness;
  • mild diarrhea;
  • nausea, stomach pain, gas, constipation; or
  • dry mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs)
Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are medicines that work by reducing the amount of stomach acid made by glands in the lining of your stomach.
  • Relieve symptoms of acid reflux, or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a condition where food or liquid travels backwards from the stomach to the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach)
  • Treat damage to the lower esophagus caused by acid reflux
Types of PPIs

There are many different names and brands of PPIs. Most work as well as another. Side effects may be different for different ones.

  • Omeprazole (Prilosec), also available over the counter without a prescription (Prilosec OTC)
  • Esomeprazole (Nexium),
  • Lansoprazole (Prevacid),
  • Rabeprazole (AcipHex)
  • Pantoprazole (Protonix)
  • Dexlansoprazole (Kapidex)

Although I was scared, I started taking the Nexium every morning as soon as I got up.  At first, I felt just as sick, like the side effects were worse than the disease; within a week most side effects were gone.  It became a habit, something I just didn't think about.  I just knew I had to take my medication and couldn't drink too much.  Mainly limited my drinking to 1-2 drinks.  That definitely slowed my social life.  I wasn't 100% but I was close enough where I just didn't think I was sick anymore.

After 1 month on Nexium I tried to stop it.  I felt fine the first day, so I went on my usual super drinking and eating.  The following day I was so sick I ran to get another refill.  As the end of my 3rd month approached, I realized I had to some how find a cure for whatever was wrong with me.  At least that's how I was thinking: I just need to cure myself naturally.  No more drugs.  No more risk of 101 side effects.


1 comment:


  1. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can contact them at their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete