Thursday, June 27, 2013

What are H2 Blockers and GERD

Many of us run to the pharmacy as soon as we feel any kind of heartburn. When we get to the pharmacy, we're bombarded by different remedies.  One type of remedy we can take are called H2 Blockers.

I thought maybe you'd like some more information on these drugs:

Examples of H2 Blockers

Generic Name     Brand Name 
cimetidine Tagamet
famotidine Pepcid
nizatidine Axid
ranitidine Zantac

H2 blockers (also sometimes referred to as acid reducers or H2 receptor antagonists) are available in nonprescription and prescription forms. Prescription forms are stronger than the nonprescription forms.
H2 blockers are usually taken by mouth, although some can also be given as an injection. Two doses (morning and evening) are generally recommended to control both daytime and nighttime symptoms. Doctors sometimes recommend a single dose, taken at bedtime, for people who have difficulty remembering to take their medicines.

How It Works

H2 blockers reduce the production of stomach acid. This makes the stomach juices less acidic so that any stomach juice that gets into the esophagus is less irritating. This relieves symptoms and allows the esophagus to heal.

Why It Is Used

H2 blockers are used to treat the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). They may be prescribed for your symptoms without any diagnostic testing if your symptoms point to GERD.
  • H2 blockers may be used together with antacids.
  • Nonprescription H2 blockers may be used for up to 2 weeks for short-term symptom relief. But if you have been using nonprescription medicines to treat your symptoms for longer than 2 weeks, talk to your doctor. If you have GERD, the stomach acid could be causing damage to your esophagus. Your doctor can help you find the right treatment.
  • H2 blockers may be used on a long-term basis to relieve persistent GERD symptoms.

How Well It Works

All of the H2 blockers in this class are about equally effective.
H2 blockers heal the damage done to the esophagus by GERD (esophagitis) in about 5 out of 10 people.

H2 blockers also work to help symptoms of GERD. But the number of people who take H2 blockers and who have no GERD symptoms is usually less than 5 out of 10 people. That means that of the people taking H2 blockers, more than 5 out of 10 still have some GERD symptoms.

Side Effects

H2 blockers have been in use since the late 1960s. H2 blockers are well studied and are considered very safe.
Minimal side effects occur with use of H2 blockers. Side effects may include:

See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.)

3 comments:

  1. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative, because it compresses most of the information needed and the best solution to Paralysis still remains herbal medicines.
    I became more convinced in herbal medicines because of NZE NJOKU HERBAL HOME.
    I have also contacted Nze Njoku for herbal treatment for my grandfather who had suffered paralysis caused by stroke for eight years.
    My grandfather took herbal medicines from Nze Njoku Herbal Home as he's instructed without any lifestyle change which healed him of paralysis within nine weeks.
    As I write this my grandfather is doing great on his feet and most importantly he has started his business effectively as if nothing happened to him.
    Feel free to contact them on;
    nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  3. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can contact them at their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete