Monday, June 10, 2013

Water and GERD - How Water Makes GERD Worse

After a few days of suffering from all my GERD symptoms, I started to see a pattern between my water drinking and GERD.  So I did some research on the internet and found out that water makes GERD worse:

You need an acidic stomach environment in order to digest food. When you drink water with meals, stomach acid is usually diluted, which leads to incomplete digestion of food. Undigested food may stay longer in your stomach, which can increase acid reflux symptoms. Drinking water with meals also over fills your stomach, which can cause the LES muscle to open and allow stomach contents to leak into the esophagus.

There are those that would argue to the contrary, explaining that since GERD is mainly due to having too little acid in your stomach, actually raising the PH via antacids or, better yet, by drinking water, then water is a good way of fighting GERD.  Although I see the merits in this argument, this was absolutely not the case for me.

I paid close attention to my reaction to food, and I found a direct correlation between my water drinking and the amount of acid that I felt crawling up my esophagus.  I do mean, that I can't have water about 30 minutes or more before a meal, definitely not during the meal, and at least 1 hour after the meal.  So, I fall more on the camp that says that water, either because it dilutes the acid in your stomach or because  it feels you up is no good for my GERD.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can contact them at their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete